Year In Industry Mechanical Design Engineer
Studying: Mechanical Engineering BEng (Hons)/MEng Or Similar
Start Date: July 2024 – August 2025
Duration: 13 months (approx.)
Salary: £22,500 pa
At Round Peg, we’re passionate about solving the design challenges of some the world’s most exciting
and innovative products. We support new technology through the crucial stages of design, prototyping to
manufacture and delivery.
We work with companies of every size, from start-ups to major players, and across a range of different
industries, from medtech and pharma to telecoms, manufacturing and consumer products. Our goal is to
provide an external resource that can slot seamlessly into a client’s project, like a round peg in a round
We are a small team of enthusiastic individuals whose goal is to deliver simple, elegant solutions to our
clients. We want every product to deliver more by using less. Our strength comes from the sheer breadth
of our creativity and experience giving us a unique place in the Cambridge tech ecosystem.
Our year-in-industry programme provides you with the opportunity to gain industry experience and learn
about all aspects of our business. As an intern you will be on rotation to spend time with several of our
experienced engineers. You will shadow them and take on client-project tasks under their guidance.
The internship is designed to build on your existing skills and give you a full experience of a mechanical
design and engineering consultancy.
- Working alongside experienced engineers to generate solutions to engineering problems.
- Conducting research to inform design solutions.
- Designing and refining mechanical designs on CAD software.
- Building and testing prototypes.
- Collecting, analysing and reporting test data.
- Attending and contributing to client and internal meetings.
- Collaborating with colleagues on engineering tasks.
- Managing an budgets and timescales of an internal project to meet delivery targets.
Skills & Experience
- You will be on track for at least a 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering, Design Engineering or similar.
- You are able to think innovatively and have the enthusiasm to take on new challenges.
- Knowledge of mechanical design principles.
- You will have some knowledge of 3D CAD (Solidworks or Creo is desirable but not essential).
- Enhanced pension scheme
- 24 days holiday, increasing 1 day per year up to 27 days, as well as bank holidays.
- In-house training and career development
- Regular performance appraisals and annual pay reviews
- Referral bonus scheme
- Relocation costs allowance
- Discretionary performance bonus
- Vendor visit scheme
To apply, send your CV to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 1st April 2024
If you have a portfolio of your work or have some recent assignments from your
university course to showcase your skills, we would be delighted to receive it
(this is not essential but may strengthen your application).