Principal Design Engineer
Full time or Flexible (To be discussed)
Office based – Cambridge/Nr Barhill
Depending on experience
What we do
At Round Peg, we’re passionate about solving the design challenges of some the world’s most exciting and innovative products. We support new technology through the crucial stages of design, prototyping to manufacture and delivery.
We work with companies of every size, from start-ups to major players, and across a range of different industries, from medtech and pharma to telecoms, manufacturing and consumer products. Our goal is to provide an external resource that can slot seamlessly into a client’s project, like a round peg in a round hole.
We are a small team of enthusiastic individuals whose goal is to deliver simple, elegant solutions to our clients. We want every product to deliver more by using less. Our strength comes from the sheer breadth of our creativity and experience giving us a unique place in the Cambridge tech ecosystem.
In this role, your primary responsibility will be the design, development and implementation of new client products within predefined budget and time constraints. Whilst having the full support of the teams’ experience, you will be expected to represent us in front of clients and deliver the excellent quality of work for which we are renowned. You will deal with estimates and quotations for clients and be involved in overall project planning.
As well as direct client projects, you may be seconded into client teams to support the delivery of larger-scale projects alongside other engineers. From this experience, you will widen your industry knowledge and will build you external network.
Day to day, you will support the more junior members of the team by reviewing their designs, helping to source products and parts and supporting the growth of their knowledge of design and manufacture. You will support on-the-job training or sourcing appropriate training courses that would benefit the team.
This role represents an excellent opportunity to join a progressive organisation where you will be provided with the platform to grow and develop alongside the business and be involved in business planning processes.
- Design, development and implementation of technically innovative and commercially competitive new products.
- Perform rapid prototyping, prototype builds, functional lab testing and analysis of test data.
- Use tools such as tolerance analysis, FMEA/DFMA and computer simulation to ensure robust designs.
- Production of manufacturing and technical drawings and BOMs.
- Produce and maintain technical documentation, such as CAD drawings, costing data, technical construction files, design calculations, bills of materials, technical specifications, marketing information and test data.
- Ensure all designs comply with the required contract specifications.
- Liaise with clients, capture their requirements and prepare proposals.
- Work with external manufacturing partners and other suppliers.
- Dealing with estimates and quotations for clients and project planning.
- Supporting junior members of the team.
Skills & Experience
- A 2:1 degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related discipline.
- In excess of 5 years’ experience in Mechanical Design Engineering roles or similar.
- Strong creative and technical abilities in concept generation, engineering analysis and detail design.
- You will have an enthusiasm for innovation and creativity, demonstrated by evidence of proactive and commercially relevant development.
- Ability to work creatively and collaboratively in a team.
- Experience in 3D CAD (SolidWorks and Creo desirable).
- Knowledge of drawing and design standards and a competent understanding of design for manufacture.
- Understanding of a wide range of manufacturing techniques, materials and assembly processes.
- IT skills – including Microsoft Office.
- Good problem-solving skills and understand the fundamentals of root cause analysis.
- You will be able to plan and prioritise, work to deadlines and under pressure.
- Highly knowledgeable in developing plastic injection moulded components and enclosures for mass manufacture, sheet metal and machined components.
- PDM system experience.
- Software coding experience such as VBA or Python would be advantageous.
- Some experience of assisting team members.
- Some experience of project planning and estimations.
- Competitive salary
- Enhanced pension scheme
- 21 days holiday, increasing 1 day per year up to 25 days (plus bank holidays)
- In-house training and career development
- Regular performance appraisals and annual pay reviews
Where to find us
Office address is: Claydon Design Centre, Unit 7, Hazlewell Court, Bar Road, Nr Bar Hill, Cambridge CB23 8DS
Our office is accessible using the following options:
- Bus Route 5 (Bus stop E4 on Emmanuel Street) for a 20-minute journey to Tesco Bar Hill, followed by a 10 minute walk.
- A 30-minute bike ride via National Cycle Route 51
Send us your CV via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a portfolio or some recent assignments from your university course to showcase your work, we would be delighted to receive it. This is not essential but will strengthen your application.